Wednesday, July 22, 2009

iPhone Scrabble


As an iPhone scrabble addict, I have collectively passed what seems like countless hours of "in-between time" waiting in line, or on the subway racking my brain, and trying to one-up my arch nemesis: the computer. And as an addict, I've tried some underhanded, and rather sneaky tricks in an attempt to attain the victory I so craved. I would imagine shoving letters together aimlessly and holding my breath as I wait to see if such a word exists within the dictionary would make an orthodox scrabbler shudder, but I can't help it! If I don't get the triple-word score, then IT WILL!!! Confessions aside, since it is a computer it has a vocabulary far superior to mine. There have been words arranged by the computer that, as it stabbed my ego, I have cursed, and swore was not a real word, but secretly accepted. However, a recent match revealed a word that surprised and tickled me so that I am posting it here: since when is "batmen" a real word? I stared at it for a few seconds, thinking I had read "batman". My first instinct linked it to the caped crusader's shooting success over the last century, but it didn't seem right. So, I looked it up and it turns out "batman" is a real word, for which "batmen" is the plural of. Here is the definition according to the New Oxford American Dictionary:

batman
noun( pl. -men) dated
(in the British armed forces) an officer's personal servant.ORIGIN mid 18th cent. (originally denoting an orderly in charge of the bat horse [packhorse] that carried the officer's baggage)
Who knew?

No comments:

Post a Comment