Sunday, December 13, 2009

Tokyo Krispy Kreme






I ventured to Tokyo for the first time last week for work. Though I had a pretty busy schedule, I was very focused on something not-so-work-related: finding a Krispy Kreme donut shop. I hadn't told Marlow of this plan because I wanted to come home and surprise him. I had been told by friends and co-workers that this place can get especially packed--we're talking hour or more-long lines out the door. Just Google "Krispy Kreme Tokyo opening" and you'll see some serious lines, which worried me a bit since I was with some friends, Meredith, Jam, and Jeremy, I didn't want to schelp them all the way there just to wait in line forever and a day. We found it in Shibuya, with only a small line of about 10 people or so--great! We got in, and began salivating over the array presented ever-so scrumptiously in the glass display cases, when one of the staff appeared, white and glowing, and handed us free, freshly baked and glazed, hot, velvety soft and deliciously sticky donuts--did I say they were free? Because they were. I got in and paid 960 yen for 6 plain donuts (which seemed a bit pricey, I can't seem to remember how much they are in the States), asked for a Krispy Kreme hat, and went on my way. I surprised Marlow when I got home, and he put on the hat while he ate them and let me take a picture. The donuts we ate at home were still great, no doubt... but that donut I had while standing in line has since been put up on a pedestal as the best donut I've ever had.

No comments:

Post a Comment