Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Minivan Shminivan


Walking around the city, I spotted this mom with 2 kids on a bike. Living in Japan is very different from living in the US in more ways than I can explain, and when I do try to explain, I find that it is often just too hard to really get my point across. But for this, I was able to snap a picture. In America, this woman would undoubtably have at least a car, if not a minivan with which to schlep these two kids around while she goes about her daily errands. To see this in America would make onlookers think this mom is:
a)very (or too) eco-friendly
b) too poor to afford a car
c)crazy

Now, maybe she really doesn't have the money for a car, but in Japan, that isn't a big deal at all. Plenty of people don't have cars and get by just fine. How do they do it? They just make it work. And as you can see, it is possible. Maybe it's not as convenient as having a car, but it can be done. I had a Nissan Maxima in the states, and I loved that old car, and it was my first and only. And I hope it stays that way. Public transit is the way to go in my book. It's cheap, eco-friendly, and if the train breaks down, I don't have to pay for it...well directly anyway (taxes, I know, I know). Props to this mom for doin' her thing, and doin' it well.

No comments:

Post a Comment