Saturday, November 7, 2009

Useful Advertising


In the wintertime in Nagoya, it isn't uncommon to see some poor guy out on the street in the cold, freezing his unmentionables off as he braves the frigid temperature to hand out packs of pocket tissues with his employer's advertisement attached to or imprinted on the packaging. More than once, I've had to tear through pictures of scantily clad women posing for anything from hostess bars to massage parlors to get to the pillowy soft, milky white, deliciously free tissues inside. Our own English school hands out tissues as well. And in the summer, it's plastic fans with advertisements. Whatever is most useful at the time, hence increasing the likelyhood a passerby will take the camouflaged ad. I've handed out tissues myself, and not everyone takes them. Though old ladies are usually a sure bet, there is nothing worse than seeing someone handing out only an advertisement, with no tissues or fans or anything really useful. Poor guy can't seem to lighten his load. Anyway, tissues, fans and the occasional candy or free dry food sample are the most common (in that order) but I recently got an individually packaged mask with an advertisement in the mail. Though it was a first, I cannot say I'm surprised. So simple and practical--I can't get enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment